I had my first taste of pog, on my very first flight to Hawaii (the Big Island). I can’t remember how old I was, but I remember the flight attendant handing me the little plastic cup of goodness with the foil lid. I looked at the pinkish juice and took a sip. A flood of sweet deliciousness! I have loved pog ever since, but it is only an indulgence saved for my trips to Hawaii.
I saw these muffins on Eat the Love before my last trip, so I bookmarked the recipe to veganize during my stay.
I altered Irvin’s recipe a bit in a few different ways. Here are my edits:
For the muffin batter:
1. substitute out whole milk for So Delicious Coconut Milk
2. use 1/4 c passion, orange and guava juice (not in Hawaii? Try Ceres brand juices)
3. sub out the egg for 1 tsp Ener-G egg replacer, dry
4. sub out 1/4 c butter for 1/4 c coconut oil
5. use 3/4 c chopped fresh mango & pineapple
For the topping:
1. Omit pineapple
2. sub out butter for equal parts Earth Balance Coconut Spread
I opted not to make the glaze, but if you want to make it, just substitute equal parts Earth Balance for the butter
Well pog is definitely a new one to me, unless you’re talking about that weird trend from the 90’s, which I’m pretty sure you’re not 😉 everything about these sounds perfect to me!